Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Last Holiday DVD


Queen Latifah, Timothy Hutton and Gerard Depardieu

The mistaken diagnosis of imminent death is a rich field for comedy writers, giving them a chance to explore the honest life values of the protagonist, without actually requiring the character to die. What will the character choose to do with the supposed remaining days of life? In Send Me No Flowers, Rock Hudson's hypochondriac George tries to set up his wife (Doris Day) with a safe mate in a future without him. George's shallow self-focus turns one-eighty with the expected onset of death.

Georgia Byrd (Queen Latifah) has the opposite of Hudson's neurosis; she is shy and self-effacing. She cooks Cordon Bleu-level meals, but only for others — she herself eats only Lean Cuisine. She sings in a choir, but has to be told by the director to sing out. "I thought I was," is her puzzled response. And her love for fellow Kragen department store employee Sean Matthews (LL Cool J) is unrequited only because she doesn't dare say anything to him.

A bump on the head changes her life. A faulty CAT scan shows blank areas in her brain that lead her doctor to give her the death sentence: she has three, perhaps four, weeks to live. Suddenly, her "Book of Possibilities", in which she has recorded all the things she wants to do someday, is a list of things she will never accomplish.

Like George, Georgia makes a one-eighty. She cashes in her savings, splurges on a first-class trip to Prague and books into the ritzy Grandhotel Pupp, in the Presidential Suite, and makes up for lost future-time by ordering seven meals at dinner.

Coincidentally staying at the resort are Matthew Kragen (Timothy Hutton), owner of the department store chain where Georgia was mis-diagnosed, and her Congressman and a Senator with whom Kragen is trying to work some kind of back-room deal. Georgia's straight talk and lust for life puts her into an unexpected competition with Kragen for the respect of these men, the star chef of the Pupp, Chef Didier (Gerard Depardieu), and even Kragen's mistress (played by Alicia Witt).

Done wrong, this story would be schmaltzy or trite. But Queen Latifah has the presence to pull off both the shy, withdrawn Georgia and her fully-blossomed Madame Byrd character. Brilliant writing (including credit for the 1950 Alec Guiness version of the film, written by JB Priestly) and a perfect casting of Hutton as the unlikeable mega-mart mogul and Depardieu as the goofy-but-wise chef let Latifah shine.

This one goes on my "watch often" shelf.
B000ERVJJK,B000P2A22O,B00006FMAX

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a movie.

9/21/2008 6:19 AM  
Blogger pat said...

Hey Pat!
Any chance I could bother you to remove my name from your way-back-when post at http://paperfrigate.blogspot.com/2005/04/weekly-blogscan-april-fools.html

I'm trying to remove the obvious references from the interweb, and I think yours in the last :)

My name's also Pat, and I was the kleenex popup guy :)

Thanks,
Pat

3/25/2009 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Elisa said...

I watched the movie and I really liked it. I recommend it to all of you.

7/09/2009 2:49 AM  
Anonymous Betty said...

Great blog. I will try to watch that movie as well. Thanks for the idea.

8/19/2009 2:41 AM  
Blogger Zul said...

Hi there. Keep it up for a good job.You really have a lot of nice blog here. Lots of information. I have read and passed on this info to my friends as well.

Cheers!
fivezull
One Drop Perfumes
Free Movies
Online Degrees
Higoat
Catcheye

1/11/2010 4:14 AM  
Anonymous College Research Paper said...

I appreciate the work of all people who share information with others.

1/13/2010 2:12 AM  
Blogger samraat said...

sangambayard-c-m.com

4/03/2010 11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great I will love to watch this movie. TchHew

9/23/2011 2:28 AM  
Blogger sridhar sekar said...


yours idea is really good and innovative , these resources are really awesome thanks for sharing those information and i got more in formation about this concept.


php training in chennai

4/06/2016 4:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the good words! Really appreciated. Great post. I ve been commenting a lot on a few blogs recently, but I had nt thought about my approach until you brought it up.

SAP training in Chennai

6/01/2016 6:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This blog is having the general information. Got a creative work and this is very
different one. We have to develop our creativity mind. This blog helps for this.
Thank you for this blog. this is very interesting and useful.
Digital Marketing Company in Chennai

8/18/2016 5:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This idea is mind blowing. I think everyone should know such information like you have described on this post. Thank you for sharing this explanation.Your final conclusion was good. We are sowing seeds and need to be patiently wait till it blossoms.
Software Testing Training Institute in chennai

9/01/2016 12:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There are lots of information about latest technology and how to get trained in them, like this have spread around the web, but this is a unique one according to me. The strategy you have updated here will make me to get trained in future technologies. By the way you are running a great blog. Thanks for sharing this.

Dental Hospital in Chenna

3/02/2017 5:04 AM  
Blogger sathya said...

Superb i really enjoyed very much with this article here. Really its a amazing article i had ever read. I hope it will help a lot for all. Thank you so much for this amazing posts and please keep update like this excellent article.


MSBI Training in Chennai

3/03/2017 1:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really i enjoyed very much. And this may helpful for lot of peoples. So you are provided such a nice and great article within this.

SEO Company in India|Digital Marketing Company in Chennai

3/10/2017 10:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice post here and thanks for latest smartphone applications it .I always like and such a super colors of phone for these post.Excellent and very cool idea and great models and different kinds of the more information's.

Digital Marketing Training in Chennai

3/15/2017 4:27 AM  
Blogger Nandhini said...

This is an awesome post.Really very informative and creative contents. These concept is a good way to enhance the knowledge.I like it and help me to development very well.Thank you for this brief explanation and very nice information.Well, got a good knowledge.
Housekeeping Services in Chennai

3/22/2017 4:17 AM  
Anonymous lisandra said...

I watched the movie and I really liked it. I recommend it to all of you.

12/12/2017 7:29 AM  
Anonymous Clipping Path said...

Thank you so much for the detailed article

1/19/2019 11:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...


Thanks for the warn and great post dear!visit our web

3/04/2019 11:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...


It’s amazing in support of me to truly have a web site that is valuable meant for my knowledge.

site...

3/04/2019 11:21 PM  
Blogger cdcdcdcd said...


Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading.

PenDragonX Athen Blog
Best Ice Fishing Gloves Best Ice Fishing Gloves Best Ice Fishing Gloves

3/16/2019 12:42 AM  
Anonymous Speedy Keto ACV Gummies said...

Keto Diet is available online, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Maybe I should turn the other cheek. I hadn't reasoned that I could verify my information less. I want to win at that game. This is straightforward to follow. It's an example of Keto Diet. This is the time for quite a few last minute measures. I had infered that I could not have more to say on this topic. That's not a simple decision. This is a run-of-the-mill way to be acclaimed for obtaining more Weight Loss Gummies.
.
https://www.offerplox.com/weight-loss/speedy-keto-acv-gummies/

https://www.sympla.com.br/produtor/speedyketoplusacvgummiesusa
https://sites.google.com/view/tealfarmketo/speedy-keto-acv-gummies
https://speedy-keto-acv-gummies-2.jimdosite.com/
https://www.offerplox.com/weight-loss/ketoxplode/
https://www.offerplox.com/weight-loss/keto-vitax-gummies/
https://www.offerplox.com/weight-loss/active-keto-gummies/
https://www.offerplox.com/men-health/animale-male-enhancement/
https://www.offerplox.com/cbd-products/impact-garden-cbd-gummies/

5/23/2023 4:02 AM  
Blogger Bharathi said...

Hii
Thank you for your kind words! I truly appreciate it. Your post is excellent. Lately, I've been actively engaging and leaving comments on various blogs, but I hadn't really considered my approach until you mentioned it. It's important to be mindful of how we approach and contribute to discussions, and your reminder has given me a fresh perspective on this aspect.
Here is sharing some RPA Developer Training information may be its helpful to you.
RPA Developer Training

6/20/2023 3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hii
Thank you for sharing this information, Your post is outstanding. Lately, I've been actively participating and leaving comments on various blogs, but I hadn't given much thought to my approach until you brought it up. Here is sharing some AWS Developer Certification Training journey information may be its helpful to you.

AWS Developer Certification Training

10/14/2023 3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home